Saturday, December 5, 2015

YOU NEVER KNOW

You just never know what each day will bring.  As a writer, everything is an adventure.  Today I was out mowing the lawn when a buddy of mine called and asked if he could drop by.  Okay.  Let’s grab a bite. 

So we went to one of the local restaurants and proceeded to carry on a conversation that included my telling him about a historical figure I had recently discovered who I said I wanted to incorporate into my latest writing, Book 7 (Return For You).  In fact, last night I wrote a scene in which I named her and my fictional character talked about her and wanted to be like her.  That device worked well in her effort to learn something about the bad guy—gaining access to a private meeting—she posing as a photographer for a big New York newspaper.  The date was September 26, 1899.

While we were having this conversation a fellow came over and said that it did not sound like a normal conversation and he introduced himself.  We chatted and laughed and eventually I wrote my contact information on an index card and slid it across the table to him.  He wrote his information on another card and handed it to me.

When I read his name, I said, “You’re the storyteller!”  He was surprised  and asked how I knew.  I lied and told him because I was smart.  Fact is, I’ve known of him for many years because of my newspaper.  He has a reputation for presenting his stories to live audiences at libraries and other gatherings.

Turns out, Tim Tingle is a successful writer, lives locally, and we agreed to get together to share some writing war stories.  I don’t know that I can teach Tim all the much, but I can certainly learn some stuff from him.

The bottom line is this:  You never know what is going to happen on a daily basis.  You have to be open to the things that come your way and you have to embrace the intricate web that surrounds each of us.

Tim writes historical fiction and said he wants to read the Look For Me series.  By all means, we will make that happen.

Tim is an Oklahoma Choctaw and his fiction has historically accurate backdrops just like the Look For Me series.  He has books where his characters time travel, just like the Look For Me series.  He talks about ghosts, just like the Look For Me series.  (I don’t call them ghosts.  Rather, I think of them as Guardian Angels or Spirits.)  I think Tim is going to love the series.

Go look at his stuff on Amazon:

http://www.amazon.com/Tim-Tingle/e/B001JS76KY   

And Tim, when you read this, comment below and share with us your impressions of a chance encounter.

It was a pleasure meeting you.



No comments:

Post a Comment