Saturday, December 5, 2015

GETTING ADVICE

I needed to write a scene where I wanted one of my characters to come across as really depraved.  I was looking for just one line that he could say that would seriously offend the female character and yet not offend readers. 

Some writers don’t mind offending readers, but I like my readers and I don’t want them slamming the book shut because I said something that reaches them personally.

But I do want them to hate certain characters.

So coming up with the right line in such circumstances is a little tricky.

After I had thought about it awhile I picked up the telephone and I called the most depraved person I know.  We had a good talk, and a good laugh, and at the end of the conversation the perfect line was hammered out.  He was flattered that I called for his advice and to be known as my favorite depraved human being.

What a delight.

The key is this:  Sometimes if you can’t think of what a character might say, ask someone.  Give a thumbnail description of the scene and just ask, “What would this guy say?”

I won’t tell you the line now, but it is in Book 7 (Return For You).

You will recognize it when you read it.  The line is perfect.


LookForMeIWillFindYou.com

No comments:

Post a Comment